Sunday, June 29, 2008

I'm Back!



Hello Catty-Wampuses!
The Lizzy is back. We had a real good trip to the south-land. Some highlights:
It was hotter than Hades and I perspired in places I didn't know you could sweat. We stayed in a gutted-out, non-air conditioned school (thanks to looters) and was tempted to sleep in the nude but didn't want to traumatize any of our teenagers.

I worked harder physically than I ever have in my life. I weed-whacked, mowed, shoveled, pulled down and bagged insulation, cleaned toilets and passed out water to some homeless dudes.

I ate craw fish and gumbo, steered clear of the tasteless sections of Bourbon street in the French Quarter and saw a cross-dresser named Ashley (who took it upon herself/himself to direct our young and naive group away from 'Gay City'--many thanks to Ashely).

I'm covered in mosquito bites, have a little poison ivy on my arms but thankfully didn't get burnt--let's hear it for SPF 50!

I developed some deeper relationships, met some interesting people I could learn a lot from and got to explore a new city with my husband. And I only started to miss the Squeezers on Thursday.

I saw many abandoned, gutted and overgrown houses, deserted neighborhoods and blocks upon blocks of razed home sites. But--the people we encountered were ever so thankful for the help.
I have loads of laundry and things to catch up on from being gone for a week but over all I had a really great time and enjoyed being away from my daily grind.

Hope all are well. There are some more pics on facebook.
Lizz

1 comment:

Keepin Up With the Cats said...

Lizzy - what a great trip!!! I'm glad you guys got to do that together. :) - klep