Monday, December 8, 2008

What a Week!

Ok, cats. It's been a wild week for us. We just got home yesterday afternoon from the hospital and are trying to regroup.

Wednesday night we went to bed and then at 1:00 in the morning, Campbell woke up with a fever of 102. I called the pediatrician and the nurse on call said to take her into the emergency room right away. I took her in, and Steve stayed with the twins. The thing is, Steve's cell phone died earlier that day, and he'd left his charger in KY last weekend- so he had no phone and no way to charge his phone. I knew that whenever I found out anything at the hospital, I had no way to let him know. I got there and they immediately ran a bunch of tests: urine test-she had to be catheterized, started an IV, which didn't work in her arm or the right side of her head, but finally worked in the left side of her head, several blood tests, and a spinal tap. All the while I was alone in the middle of the night with her and no way to talk to Steve. Then they told us she had to be admitted for a minimum of 48 hours to wait for all of the cultures be be run and make sure she didn't have a systemic infection. This is all because she's under 2 months old and therefore has an underdeveloped immune system, so it's pretty much automatic with a fever over 100.5. I called my mom, who was supposed to be coming up the next night along with my grandma, grandpa, and aunt to meet Campbell and go to our Christmas show. She packed her bags and headed up right away.
We waited and passed the time at the hospital, and my mom watched the twins so Steve could come to the hospital. That night my grandparents and aunt stayed with the twins so my mom could sit with Campbell at the hospital and Steve and I could go to the dress rehearsal. The next day mom, the twins, my grandparents and my aunt came to visit us at the hospital. We went down to the cafeteria for lunch and my mom didn't eat because she said that her stomach was a little upset. That night she was too sick to go to the show so all of us went but her. It was catered by ChickfilA and as soon as the twins got their food, Adeline puked all over herself and Anderson, and unreal amount of vomit. My aunt took the two of them home, but my grandparents stayed. After the show, I stopped by the house to check on my mom and Adeline before returning to the hospital to stay the night with Campbell. I walked in the house and it smelled like puke, I could hear my grandma in the bathroom throwing up. Adeline and my mom had continued to throw up, and Anderson had lethal diarrhea. I got out of there as fast as I could. While we were at the hospital that night, Steve got sick and threw up so much he had to be taken downstairs to the ER and started on IV fluids because he was dehydrated as well as drugs they give chemo patients to stop the vomitting. My aunt also got sick that night at my house. I made Steve go home when he was released from the ER and made then come in and clean and disinfect the room for Campbell and me. The next morning my grandpa woke up sick. So all 7 people at my house were barfing their guts up, (as well as coping with the scoots) and I felt like I was in some horrible end of the world movie where everyone was dying around me and I was waiting to get it, too. I thought I lucked out, until the following evening. I got it, too- at the hospital. I was violently throwing up every few minutes, and trying to nurse Campbell who was still attached to an IV between puking sessions through the night. It was absolutely horrible, but we are all home now and trying to get well. No one at my house it throwing up now, (my grandparents are back in Indiana and still throwing up, though) we are just fighting nausea and not really ready for solid food, yet. If we never repeat this past week it will be way too soon!!!!
-fulty

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy Cow Fulty! That's awful. I hope and pray that you guys are doing much better than you were a couple days ago. Bless your hearts.
L

Anonymous said...

That is so horrible that it can't possibly be true, it sounds like some nightmare! Oh Fulty! I hope you all are recovering. Who knew motherhood could require so much! Love you guys!
-M

Anonymous said...

Fulty-
I hope you are all recovery! Sick kids and sick adults do not sound fun! Hope this is your only bout of illness this winter- maybe you knocked it all out in one shot! Stay warm!
-Betsy

Anonymous said...

Fulty-
I hope you are all recovery! Sick kids and sick adults do not sound fun! Hope this is your only bout of illness this winter- maybe you knocked it all out in one shot! Stay warm!
-Betsy

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I hit the publish button twice!