Thursday, November 8, 2007

Oddities...

So i may be the only one reading/writing around here right now but i have to get it out somewhere & somehow. First let me just share that Ava will be two on Friday and she is currently referring to herself as the "Birthday Princess." It is a little ridiculous. Also a little ridiculous is Atley's newest tactic. When he is doing something he is not supposed to and he hears me say his name to call him down, here is his response, "Sorry, I'm not Altey, I'm Cheeseburger." Now, what the H am i supposed to do with that? So lately to save myself time i just refer to him as Cheeseburger when he is misbehaving. This did however earn some strange looks in Chic Fil A on Tuesday. Oh well.

Another oddity for you now, and i am still sort of processing this one. Last night we visited Ava's birth family. They threw a little birthday party for her. We had pizza and a cake and she was given a plethora of gifts. We really had a lot of fun and they are such a great family. They even gave Atley a few gifts. Now as an adoptive mom i don't really find this odd anymore. But last night as we were visiting in the midst of it all i zoned out and tried to take an outsider's view of the scene. I mean here is me, sharing my daughter with this family, this woman who took drugs and in turn gave my baby drugs, loving and playing with my daughter. Then there with us is her biological grandmother, aunt, uncle, cousin, half sister and the great aunt no less. All of them doting on both of my kids. Then there is Atley running and playing with the cousin and the half sibling (only to Ava mind you) like they are his own family-when really there is absolutely no biological relationship at all. He actually has his own set of bio family like this. Now don't tell me this doesn't sound like something off of one of Jerry Springer's milder shows! It really is crazy-ESPECIALLY if open adoption is a scary foreign concept to you. But you know what cats? I wouldn't change one thing about it. It was so good. It felt like God was there-like this is the way he intended it from the beginning. I sat there in that room in that moment and prayed that my "family" would continue to grow like this. I really don't want to birth children because at this point i feel like i would be missing out on something if i did. I know that is strange. I hope that as my life changes i will get to continue to receive these gifts that are glimpses into the way i think God intended for grace to look. I know that God has given each of us different perspectives into his grace and that they are all beautiful, but this morning, as i look back on last night, i am just really thankful for mine.

Love you all.
Meow
Mandy

3 comments:

Keepin Up With the Cats said...

You're right that it does seem strange to have a relationship like that with the birth family- but it is just another example of God's goodness and faithfulness. It is awesome that you allow them to spend time with your children. I am sure they feel blessed by it. And Atley... well at least he picked a good food to be!
-Betsy

Keepin Up With the Cats said...

Cheeseburger Watson...it has a nice ring to it. He'll love that story when he's 14!
You are a blessed woman Byrd!
Lizzy

Anonymous said...

beautiful, mandy....God is good.