Thursday, November 6, 2008

Sorry I haven't been on in a while; I've been reading the blog just not writing! Fulton, Campbell is a GORGEOUS baby!!! I want more videos, that was so cool! The best part was Coretha holding her miniature on her lap. :) Lizzy, congrats to you, too...I knew it was coming soon!! And I will say again...Duncan is absolutely precious - I kept oohing and aahing over his Halloween costume. Sigh. Did you make those costumes? Bets, glad all is well with your pregnancy, too. Brevin is quite the little man - getting all grown up. OK, is that all the child-bearing cats as of right now? Byrd? V? I am very excited to hopefully get to share the experience with Eric one day; for now, of course, it's just still not the right time.



I don't think I told you guys this yet: Eric got a new job besides his work study hours at Lee. He was an office assistant in the teacher ed department and they're all still saying how much they miss him...him always being the life of the party and all. I was praying for something more for him that gave him just a few more hours a week, paid more, and is more in his field and interests. Last year some professors were getting some big research project together and wanted Eric involved but then we never heard anything else. Then a month or so ago, they asked him to be one of the 'trainers' for this state-wide program called 'Wellness Steps'. It is gov't. funded to fight obesity and diabetes in adults and children. As long as their research proves its value, they continue to get funding.



So Eric started out just working with the adults twice a week; then the head guy pulled him aside and was so impressed with him that he offered him a job working in the after-school programs at some local elementary schools. he said , "now I don't know how you are with kids, but..." HA!! so now he does that, too, and they are so impressed with him and how he works with the kids and the people that the guy who is the head actually offered him a job to head the program up in Nashville!!! of course, that is not an option for right now, but definitely a possibility for future. who knows? at any rate, i know it is just another one of God's affirmations to Eric that he is doing the right thing perservering through school and that is was right for him to leave the business world to pursue this path even though it has been hard for him and for our family. I'm so proud of him and thankful for God's affirmations. And he's still doing his rock masonry on the side...he comes up with new professors all the time who want him to do some work. It's just small things here and there but every little bit helps us financially and plus he loves doing it.



as far as me...i just realized today this is my seventh year of teaching and I'm finally feeling like I"m starting to really get 'good', though there is always so much more to learn in this field. the school asked me to be the 'literacy leader' this year so I go to a lot of county-wide professional development things and we discuss literacy plans, etc. and report back to our schools. I enjoy it and I like the change of routine as well when I get to go somewhere besides Hunter Middle School! I've also enjoyed getting more of a grip on the lesson planning, my subject matter, and how things run so that I feel I get more chances to really focus on the kids and do what they needs me to for them. On average, my kids this year came in on a fifth grade reading level, so our task is to get them up to grade level and then up to seventh by the end of the year...or as high as we can!



I still am trying to figure out their motives behind some of the questions they ask...any insight into the twelve year old mind would be much appreciated. For example: I write an assignment on the board for homework and tack onto it "empty all the work from first quarter out of your folder and leave it at home." and a girl - one of average maturity and intelligence - says, "what if we already did that?" *&$#! what do you think? I said, "then put it all back in and then take it out again." duh. those types of questions are the most maddening to me. ? i mean, what are they really asking me?

Um...what else. Oh, about the cat retreat...bummer it won't work out. I was planning on it but it's ok, we'll do it in the spring. all this baby-making is throwing off our plans, people!! :)

the leaves are all changing down here and it's so pretty. yesterday i went downtown to get my hair done and driving into chattanooga and seeing the mountains with all the color and the sun on them was glorious. i'm starting to really like this town. my hairdresser ( a friend of a friend at school) asked me if I take vitamins. I said no and she said i need to get a hair, skin, and nails vitamin because she noticed she pulled out way too much hair when she shampooed my hair. now I've alway snoticed that i pull a lot out in the shower and after I pick it out but i just figured it was because it's long and dark so i notice more. but recently i have noticed it worse...so i don't know why i'm suddenly balding. a couple possibilities: practically half my diet is sugar :( i don't exercise regularly, i'm stressed with my job, i don't get enough sleep. hmmm...that should do it, i think. so, i'm working on fixing these bad habits. i used to be so good about that stuff and it has gradually fallen apart and it depresses me slightly. you know that powerless feeling you get sometimes about certain things...like, things that you're not really powerless about? i feel that in regards to my body nowadays. i haven't told anyone that but you cats. it's something i'm dealing with right now. it's not a matter of vanity, it's health at this point.

well, gotta go do butt loads of dishes and make some dinner for my man. love you cats and i'm so glad we have our blog to suffice in each other's absence. :)

meow -
klep

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kleppy Dearest--glad to hear from you. I'm glad you wrote because I've been thinking of you. Thanks for filling us in on you and Eric. How exciting and encouraging all the stuff for Eric must be! He really needs that confirmation and I can just imagine how much he must shine when he is working with kids in those capacities. Glad also to hear about your teaching--wow, 7 years to get in a good groove! You had fooled--I've always thought you a great teacher ;) I can just imagine you about to burst when those dorky kids ask such goober questions--I would be burstin' right there with you!

I will miss not seeing you in November. Hope I didn't disappoint you with the call-off. Take care dear friend.
Lizzy