Sunday, July 6, 2008

A Fun Holiday Weekend

Hey Cats!
Hope everyone's 4th went well. Ours was great. Eli's been with the department long enough now that he can get some holidays off if he asks for them. He got to be with us for the 4th and for Kenna's Birthday the following day. We spent the 4th with some friends and then headed down town for fire works. Immediately following the fire works we headed down to Bloomington to spend the night with my parents and celebrate Kenna's 3rd birthday with them.

We had a really great day with Kenna, Duncan and my parents. Nothing too big or flashy--just a day full of cinnamon rolls for breakfast, playing at a play ground, ice cream from the local Chocolate Moose, a good afternoon nap, a steak dinner, a Kermit the Frog Birthday cake (decorated by yours truly) and some presents that delighted the pants off my daughter. My parents got her a Red Radio Flyer tricycle--she adores it.

One of my favorite moments was during her time of opening her gifts. Eli and I got her a David Crowder cd--she really likes the song "Everything Glorious". The chorus came on and she started singing, " you make everyting dorious, you make everyting dorious...and I am yours..."--then she had to stop opening her gifts and dance. I wanted to cry with joy and happiness--it was one of the most precious, sincere, living-in-the-moment moments I have witnessed in a long time. This birthday for her made me realize that she is at such a wonderful age--old enough to understand what's going on but not old enough to be preoccupied about getting presents and herself. Everything we did or gave to her was a sincere surprise to her and she delighted in every moment. I've discovered that I may no longer be at an age where I lay awake the night before my birthday full of anticipation and excitement. Those days are long gone. But I now find myself looking forward to enjoying these times with my children--anticipating their delight, planning things that I know they will enjoy and seeing the look of excitement on their faces. If I feel this way with my own children imagine what God must feel like with us. He is good!

It would be really cool if we could all get together at V's for Corn Day! Vanessa, get us the dates and hopefully we can work something out.

Grace and Peace
Lizzy

I have some photos but they aren't uploading for some reason. I'll try again tomorrow.

No comments: