Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Thoughts & Happenings

Hey Cats,

So most of us are moms, and you will likely understand or at least be able to empathize with the following thoughts because you are also moms involved in ministry.

Okay, so i know that Jesus was like ministry is a lifestyle, it is who you are all the time, no distinctions, try not to grow weary in doing good. Also, that we must minister to our own families. But don't you just sometimes wish he would have kids so we could get some clearer words and thoughts on things?

I LOVE TRH. I love what i do, i love how we have chosen to live our lives. However, I don't love that lately I am having trouble just being with my kids. I will be at the park or on the way to the zoo, looking forward to a day out with my children and receive 4 messages from a mom in need of something. Today i honestly got angry because i didn't want to deal with it. Now granted, she was breaking the rules by calling and expecting me to answer as there are phone policies set into place on my days off. However, it wasn't about that. It was more about me wanting to be selfish and just be with MY KIDS and be THEIR MOM and not some other person. I wanted to isolate myself as a mother and not be a "professional" or "minister" today, so to speak. BUT i also want to live like Jesus and be patient and offer all of myself to who he wants me to be as His. So what? It isn't really about the action or lack of action here, it is more about the conflicted feeling. I want to not feel conflicted when this happens. I want to feel like i can be MOM and only MOM on some days without being TRH Family Advocate. Am i making any sense.

Now, i know in my heart of hearts, that feeling that way is okay, but i just wonder if any of you have felt that way or if Jesus felt that way. Surely he got aggravated with ministering to needy people all the time. He did withdraw from time to time by himself.

Okay, just needed to get that out there.

In other matters, I love Fall! I was outside all morning with my kids and i didn't even come close to breaking a sweat. This is probably also due to the fact i was a lot fatter last fall, but all the same, i love the season. I always think of Ness and Carmi in the fall too.

Speaking of Ness, Catarina, will you please post your mother's chicken vegetable soup recipe? I want to make it next week. I always think of visits to Carmi in the fall too, how we got to Prin's house at like 10 at night and she had DiMaggio's and soup ready for us unfailingly!

Oh, love you cats!!!

Be good.
Meow.
Mandycat

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't think you should feel guilty for wanting to give your attention only to your own family at times. Our ministry is our calling, but our families are our first priority. We have to set those times aside and protect them, even from the people we spend the rest of our time ministering to. There is a time and place for everything, and family time is at the top of the list. Don't feel bad for that, Byrd. Those little people of yours need your undivided attention sometimes, it's crucial for their upbringing. I know I haven't been a mom in the ministry that long, but I've been the child of a minister all my life, and the times my parents showed me and my siblings that we came first still stand out in my mind as life-shaping. Be a mom, then a minister. (Plus, the people you minister to need to see the importance of your family as an example of how their families should function.)
Wow, long answer. Sorry.
-Fulty